Wednesday, April 30, 2008

So Here I am at Turku in Finland. This is the 15th country I have seen in my life time and except for Dubai all has been business related.It was a two hour flight from Frankfurt to Helsinki and then three hours bus journey to this place. Helsinki looks like an old airport. The bus drive was great and I think the best time to come here is may be one more month from now. Still there are no leaves on the trees after the winter onslaught. I recollect participating in my school drama when I was in 5th standard on Indian Freedom struggle and the starting lines of the drama were "The sun never sets in the British Empire" but even if the sun sets here it is for really small time. At 10.00 pm when I reached this place the sun was still out like we have around 5.00 pm in India. The birds were flying to there nests. So that means it was going to set shortly and till the time I went to bed it was still not completely dark. The hotel I am staying here is great. They have English channels on the TV. And the most important the internet is free. Using internet has been the most expensive thing for me here. You pay almost 10-12 Euro for an hr. or you need to take daily packages which i usually took for 30 -40Euros. This brings me to the topic I wanted to write. Having been to almost 6 countries In Europe in my four trips here I have found travelling and leaving in Europe more tough and some what not as carefree as you find in US for Vegotarian Indian like me. One of the major reasons is the cost. Its really expensive in Europe and I dont know how they survive with this kind of cost and working just 40 odd hours in a week. What I found that things cost same in US and Europe just the currency changes and thats a 60% effect. Hotel rooms here average 80-100 Euros and same in US but in dollars. Gas here is 1.5 Euros as compared to .80 Euro in India or now alsmost same in US. A taxi ride of almost 40-50 kms can kill your days budget. The secod biggest problem is language. I mean its so funny they have no signboards in English or no announcements in English and its different language every where like here its Finnish and German in Germany. There was a bus change to my ride yesterday and the driver announced about it but I didnt understand a bit and when I saw everyone getting out I just got out and then found out that for this bus this was the last stop. So you feel very unfriendly type. In US its so different - Any place You go you can understand every thing and relate with them. Its more adventures here like you dont know whats going to happen next. Infrastructure both palces is same. Superb, something I dont know India will ever have. Systems superb and everyone follows the law and respects it. The better thing in Europe is the History. You can feel History here and old buildings with typical European architecture. Its same from a small village to Munich or Vienna. While travelling to Europe you feel a bit out of place where as in US its so much like i know this place. And to top it you end up seing every 7th to 8th guy Desi in US.Food - absoultely no problems in US. I will be travelling to US in another 2 weeks and will be driving with Duane may be 2000 kms in 5 days but its nice and enjoyable. In next 15 minutes my host is going to pick me up from the hotel for a sight seing to this town, Turku look like a beautiful place. My hotel is by the side of a river and great view. I am taking my camera today and hopefully will be able to share some of the pictures of Turku. Enjoy your Sunday. But one think I must confess about Europe - the people are good and help you out.

No comments: