Saturday, September 20, 2008

Remembering Parveen

It was a shocking news day before from my friend Rajesh that our class mate Praveen Kejriwal has been killed in a road mishap. The car he was driving had crashed with a bus from the opposite direction and had caught fire. Only his skeletons were left by the time fire could be extinguished. A very unfortunate incidence. He left behind his wife Sangeeta and two kids - a daughter and a son. God Bless them.

I first met Praveen in 1982 during our class Xth in school. He was in my section. He was a typical bully type boy who had more money than others in school. We went off reasonably well. After our class Xth boards we had gone together in our school trip to Kashmir, Jaipur and Agra. I still recollect various events of that trip involving Praveen. At the houseboat he tried alcohol and it was a shock for most of us at that age about someone indulging into this. I also recollect the dinner I had hosted for the four or five "modern" classmates which included him at Jaipur during that trip.

After that I went for my college to Nagpur and lost touch with him completely for 6 years. When I came back to Purulia, I met him again. His family had bought in a old British bungalow - Tower Villa. A wonderful building with huge gardens and chandeliers, carpets and antique furniture. The whole schoolmates by that time had started playing cards and his this villa was the den on every Sunday. I was never into cards but used to spend my time there on Sunday evenings - a good hideout for my smoke. I still remember he used to call the 10 of heart "nightangle" as he used to win with that card. I came a bit close to him during the time he was getting married. I accompanied him when he went for his marriage shopping and also drove him to his wedding at Asansol - some two hours drive from Purulia. We were having a great time at his wedding singing and dancing. In fact his father in law had got very upset at our constantly doing this. We had some family dinners and came to know Sangeeta - his wife closely. She and Minoo would meet up regularly. Then I got deeply into Rotaract and then moved to Faridabad. We lost in touch and might have met couple of times casually during my trips to Purulia. I recollect meeting him last time at a restaurant where I had gone for dinner at Purulia. He and Sangeeta had stepped in when I was having dinner with Rajesh.Never thought that that will be last time I will see or meet him. I pray to God to give Sangeeta and the Kids courage to face the tragedy and May Praveens soul rest in peace.

No comments: