Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jai Ho - Celebrating India

It was a great and proud Evening when the Oscar this year had 10 nominations for Slumdog Millionaire - a predominantly Indian movie. The best news obviously was Rahman getting triple nomination. The two music directors whose music has always made me happy and relaxed are him and RD Burman. The most played songs in my ipod are from these two folders only.

Couple of days back I read in the newspapers about Amitabh Bacchan not comfortable about poverty being shown in India for the western world. There is a huge debate going on as how only poverty and hunger attracts the western world etc. etc. Today I read that some one in Patna has filed defamation suit against the film for calling slum dwellers names in the movie. I think this is all bullshit. The fact is - the movie is so much India - based on book by an Indian Vikas Swarup, shot in India, cast is Indian and music is Indian. And though I am yet to see the movie but I am sure what ever has been shown is actual India and this movie is all about hope. Anyway I am not a critic and never like them , I prefer to enjoy the moment. I am proud of it and all of us should celebrate this moment.

Lets hope and pray that Rahman wins the Oscars when they are announced in February. In any case we have enough to be proud of at this time with his Golden Globe award - the first for an Indian.Lets all celebrate India.Jai Ho.... By the way have you visited Rahmans website - http://www.arrahman.com - wonderfully done.

No comments: