Sunday, April 12, 2009

A trip to an Indian Village

The last time I had been to a village was way back in 1993 when as a Rotaractor we had adopted a village called Imondih in West Bengal. The village I saw that time was full of poverty and semi clad poor people. Roads were dusty and crop was dependent on rainfall only. After 15 years I again got an opportunity to visit a village in Haryana. Though Haryana is much more developed than West Bengal but still it seems there has been substantial development in villages. The road leading to the village is concrete. So had no trouble to drive the 25 kms from my home. As it is harvesting time so most of the village was inhabited as everyone was in the fields. I had gone basically for taking some pictures as part of my hobby and seeing a big camera hanging on my neck a village lady came running to me thinking I am some government officer and was surveying things. Afterwards I could understand her anxiety as literally no one pays in the village for electricity and no officer from the department dare to enter the village to collect the bills. I cam across a yellow motorcycle with no number plate. I always used to think for whom do these auto companies make these colored bikes and cars. I found my answer here. The whole farm land was shining golden with harvesting season going on. The village temple is said to be from Lord Krishnas time with old trees all around. There were lot of peacocks and parrots. Lot of fresh air. I am glad I took this trip. Check out pics at my Flickr account.

No comments: