Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An Indian Dinner

After ten days of hectic traveling and schedule I have reached Tampere in Finland today afternoon. Tampere is one of the most beautiful towns to see and visit. I rate it high among the places I have been to. After a short nap at the hotel, I thought of exploring the place. also this was the first evening that I was alone. I decided to search for an Indian restaurant as it has been almost ten days when I last had Chapati or Roti. Also its difficult to get English menu in Europe which makes it difficult to decide on what you want to eat.

The experience turned out to be the worst Indian food any one can get. I started with Paneer pakoda. Four small slices of refried pakodas for 7 Euros. For the main course I ordered for Chapatis with Paneer Makhani. Unfortunately I asked the waitress to make it spicy. Oh man, it had all the garam masalas that you can imagine. At times our cook at home does this when he has to vent his anger after too much of poking by Mom or Minoo. The Paneer it seems had been imported from India and five weeks by sea to Helsinki and another week to customs clearance and further to Tampere. It was so stale and hard. The less I say about the Rotis( bread). It was hard like you needed a hammer and cutter to chop it off. I hit the axe on my feet when I ordered a masala chai to round off the food. There was no tea there. Only masala. The best part of the meal was the glass of french white wine. Fortunately it was not cooked or made here. I decided to share my feelings with the cook and asked the hostess for him. He turned out to be from Pakistan. Now I understand to what level these guys can go to defame India or things Indian. The worst was yet to come. I paid 62 Euros for this meal. A meal for two at Bukhara in Sheraton Delhi would have been cheaper. It was such a wonderful experience eating the spanish meal last night at Lahti. The crust of the story never try to eat Indian food when you are travelling in these parts of the world. I wish I would have gone to the Egyptian restaurant opposite this one.

No comments: