Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 5 - Its not all that easy

Well reading my blog you must be thinking that what a wonderful job Sandeep has. Traveling all across the globe, seeing new places and meeting new people. It really looks like that but let me tell you its hard work. And its tough when traveling away from home for quiet so many days. And specially if you have to go through American airport security you are ripped – literally. I am sitting at the Buffalo International Airport for my flight to NY. It’s the first time I am flying into LaGaurdia Airport in NY. Its so funny that tickets from this place to other airports in NY like JFK or EWR is 250 dollars where as Lagaurdia is 100 dollars. So its better to save some money for my shopping which I am going to do tomorrow.
We stayed in a hotel near the Lake in Burlington Canada. The hotel is wonderfully located on the Lake and Duane being a runner he freaked out on the view running on the boardwalk by the lake and seeing sun rise. Last evenings drive into Canada was not much of a hassle as it was too late in the night and there were not many cars at 10 PM in the immigration area. I had a very good meeting with my prospective customers here. Then they took me out for Lunch – an Indian Lunch. Usually people think that I might be missing my home food so they take me to Indian restaurants but in actual terms I prefer eating the different cuisines , just they have to be completely veg. I recollect about traveling to Mysore via Bangalore in 1995 as a trainer in Rotaract. My inlaws had moved into Bangalore some years back and they were my host for the day at Bangalore before I went to Mysore. They wanted me to have a feel of South Indian food like Rice Curd. Though I hate rice I some how gulped it and then in my train to Mysore they served Rice Curd and then at the training summit for DRR’s they again served me Rice Curd. It was three meals of Rice curd in a day and all wanted to make it unique experience for me to taste south Indian meal. Same is the situation when I am traveling abroad with my customers. They take me to Indian Restaurants and I prefer otherway, Anyway after this meal we drove back to USA and as the memorial day weekend was to start it was a huge line at Immigration into US from Canada. I was not much bothered as my flight was at 8 PM so had enough time. But after answering all the questions that these guys have at immigration I was into USA. Duane dropped me at the Buffalo International Airport for his lonely drive home. He has been so nice to me over the years that his services has become like of expected. And you forget to be grateful for them. I was lucky enough to get an early flight into NY after paying 25 dollars as flight change charges. I went into security and bundled. I forgot to be completely off metal going into the security. I forgot to take my belt off. And once the security beeps are on , it’s a hard time. I know how George Fernandes must have felt when as Defense Minister of India he was ripped of for security at US airport. So I was taken aside for further screening. And though they try to make it comfortable but I know I might be loosing a day of my life every time I get into US security.

My trip has been very productive as far as business prospects is concerned. But on the personal front I like more about the travel into Europe. I saw more people and enjoyed meeting them more – may be because it was my first time into there small towns. But one thing is common with may be all buyers is that they want to buy from us for only cost considerations. Its not about your quality or delivery security etc. Its just the cost advantages. That remains the only criteria with which they look at Indian or maybe overseas suppliers. I hope I am able to take LNM to a stage some day where they just would like to buy LNM made product for the cost it comes from LNM. And pricing becomes secondary. Its a challenge and I am happy to take it.

Tomorrow is my big shopping day. I will be out to some outlet mall and get myself some clothes. Shopping in these malls does re energizes after this hectic schedule. Sunday, I will go into the city and may be meet Stefanie, my buyer from Germany who is here in NY for her holidays. It might be good fun not talking business with her. These last two days – I am feeling a stiff backache. May be because of long drives or the soft beds in the hotels. I am ageing . I hope I will be comfortable at Pankajs bachelor den and hope the Virgin guys give me an uplift to business class on my flight back.

Catch you later.

1 comment:

Laxminarain Mall said...

We too are grateful to Duane for his company provided to you.We at this end feen very much secured and comfortable with him by your side.If you would have done all this long journey by yourself, we would be more strained mentally.So convey our thanks and affectionate regards to him.
Worrying for your back pain.You must make habit of doing light excercise and Yoga as I insist but in vain. Please take care to listen to your guardians at times.
I am confident that sooner or later your efforts would success in making LNM as brand of quality.Love