Monday, May 5, 2008

Names may be deceptive

During my travel I came into contact with various people whom I met for the first time. I had been talking with these guys over phone or emails. And through this period I built up a image of the person I had been talking to. But it all turned out to be so different from what I had thought how they are going to look. Say Richard Stock. The name sounds so heavy. His voice is also very heavy. I used to think that this guy must be some old heavy man. So meeting him was a pleasant shock when I find Mr Stock is a smart young fellow all dynamic. There's a typical problem in Punjabi names where it becomes very difficult to know whether the person is Male or female as the names are same for both genders. Jaswinder can be a male and female both. All those people with the name of Rajesh have been inspired by India's first super star of Bollywood Rajesh Khanna. I believe that generation was more into movies as there are not many people with the name of Amitabh or Shahrukh as there are Rajesh's. I believe the name also says a lot about your parents though - what they think , whom they were influenced by. William Shakespeare once said " Whats in a Name? But I think a name is an identity which tells a lot about a thing. Rose always will mean good smell and sugar always means sweet but when it comes to people I believe it does not give you a right picture about the person though it might highlight what the parents think or are influenced by. For those who are not famous or known - a unique or ghetto name brings lot of stigma - you would prefer to meet some one with a name like Rita or Sangeet then Chandramukhi. So name does give you an image but never go by that. I have 16 Rajeshs in my phone book and mostly belong to the Rajesh Khanna era but they are not all similar. I have encountered a "Chotu" who is not that small and a "Gudiya" who is all fat.

No comments: